Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kodo
Date/Time: Thu, June 15, 2000 at 5:12 AM GMT (Thu, June 15, 2000 at 12:12 AM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: There is more to life that marketing!

There are hundreds of thousands of individual domain name owners (myself included) who could care less about marketing or business.

It is not your god-given right to hock goods online under the monicker of "your_exclusive_space.com". Quite frankly, I think we could use a good cleaning out of the 'dead wood' online.

For once - people may just have to compete on the merit of their products, their prices, or their services instead of their exclusive domain name that they just happened to be lucky enough to get because they were first.

I don't have ads on my site. Never have. Never will. It's not about making money to me. I have a site because it is a creative outlet and I enjoy giving back to other humans and communicating.

I say 'NO WAY!' to sunrise senarios, or "me first" ideas. Just because you have a domain name - doesn't mean you get to be first in line when the new TLDS go on sale. Granted if I infringe on your copyright - you can sue me and get it back. But, if you own "buy.com" you don't have the god-given right to "buy.whatever" when the new TLDS are offered. What about the individuals, and the not-for-profit groups, and artists, and bands who are doing this because they want to - not because they are making a quick buck.

Just realize that 'e-commerce' does not own the Web. Go read "Weaving the Web" by Tim Berners Lee (you know... the guy who INVENTED the Web) you might just learn a thing or two.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy