Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mcromer
Date/Time: Thu, June 15, 2000 at 4:08 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Global-generic and country-generic TLNs - A proposal

I agree with Inez. .com, .org, .net should be generic and global, but they are not. I propose an elegant solution:

1. As of a certain date, all .com, etc., DNs will change to add a country suffix based on the entity's true headquarters, i.e. '.us' for US-based entities. For example, whitehouse.gov.us, nortel.com.ca., sony.com.jp.

2. This will free up all of the potential generic TLDs once again. But they will not be immediately available for registration. A world organization will have to be formed to register these names. Only entities who have a truly global scope of operations or truly international presence will be allowed register them. For example, commercial operations located in at least 'n' countries, or countries representing 'x' percent of the world population, will enable an entity to register a .com DN. (For example, Sony.com.) Likewise for organizations. (For example, UnitedNations.org.)

3. At the same time, let's clean up and coordinate the trademark issues.

4. Each country will have the right to decide for itself whether they will have additional (sub)TLNs in their TLN. However, all countries will agree to maintain at least a very small number of identically-named generic (sub)TLNs. This list would correspond to the current ones - .com, .org, .mil, .edu, etc. (the Brits might have to rename theirs), plus a VERY small handful of others. For example, I like the '.xxx' idea, because it is a useful filter.

5. Once and for all, decide what .net really means. Currently, it is merely overflow from .com.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy