Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Greg Krajewski
Date/Time: Thu, June 15, 2000 at 9:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Generic dot coms CAN'T own new generic gTLD unless they buy them!

Sir,

You say you have a genric dot com name for your business.  You were smart in getting it when you did....I assume you chose the generic term (not able to TM) as opposed to the specific (GooberSnail.com) because you saw opportunity and the ability for your name to be branded.  That was your choice.  Now if someone wanted a generic dot web name, why should they not have ability to get it...After all, generic words were not created overnight...They are everyday words used by everyone, so when you say you built up your business around this name (and no one should have access) to it....Well...that is not reality.  There are reasons why generic words are not trademarkable.  However you may not realize this but you can trademark yourname.com (tm).  So although I understand your concerns, you knew the risks...you sought to get a generic dot com in the hopes it's value will remain high...I don't blame you, but when people who are now trying to get a name and they are left with ThisismyshopinAmerica.com well, you had to figure that expansion was necessary, just as a growing system should...If companies on the internet that wanted to grow kept the same server, well they probably would not...This is the same principle, so with new gTLD's a stability will come and lower the extravagant values of current generic dot com names....I wish your business well...and of course (these are my opinions only and do not expect everyone to agree with me...I just like to make sure fact enters any argument or discussion)... _

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy