Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: arc
Date/Time: Thu, June 15, 2000 at 11:37 PM GMT (Thu, June 15, 2000 at 7:37 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Censorship

I agree that those who wish to impose their values on others through censorship will find their jobs made much easier by the addition of an .xxx gTLD. That is precisely why I oppose it.

Once the .xxx domain exists, I fear that authorities of various kinds will claim the right to order certain sites to exist only within that domain. They will claim that the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and similar provisions in other nations' constitutions and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are not violated--but the ghettoization of messages distasteful to authority, combined with the imposition of censorware at the national, institutional and even familial level, will add up to silencing those messages.

Proponents of censorware argue that they are out only to block things that are truly repugnant, or only to stop young people from seeing them. But purely political sites have been blocked by censorware based on centralized lists designed by human beings--that is, by conscious decisions, not bugs--and I find it difficult to believe that giving censors more power will make them more respectful of free speech.

Information wants to be free, and information should be free. The technical architecture of the Internet should not be mutilated to protect prudes. No matter how disgusting some material on the Web is, it is not so disgusting as censorship. And it is definitely not as dangerous.

ALEX R. COHEN
Editor in Chief
The Free Student
http://www.thefreestudent.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy