Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: arc
Date/Time: Fri, June 16, 2000 at 12:04 AM GMT (Thu, June 15, 2000 at 8:04 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Zoning Speech Is Censorship

What you are trying to do is impose your values on other people, pure and simple. That is far more obscene than anything your children might find in the .sex domain--if it is properly used, which I doubt it would be (see my message "Censorship"--I do not wish to spam the board by reprinting it here).

You have no right to expect the rest of the world to help you tailor what your children see. First of all, your children are people too. If they wish to view erotic material, that is their right. (Communication requires two parties, and both have rights in the matter.) Second of all, do you really believe that everyone else will agree with your judgment of what should and what should not be in the "red-light district"? Even within the United States, values differ (see Reno v. ACLU, striking down the Communications Decency Act); they differ even more when you take the entire globe into consideration, as ICANN must. Do you want the butchers of Tiennenman Square to determine what's good for children to see? Or would you prefer your neighborhood fundamentalist Christian?

Furthermore, consider this: Censorware is not imposed only on a familial basis. It's almost benign when it is, because young men and women have friends and Peacefire.org to help them. But if ICANN forces a change to the structure of the Internet, paternal and maternal authority will not be the only form of authority to gain power: so will paternalistic government authority. Governments will use the technical change to keep certain content out of entire countries. If this does not concern you, remember this: Political speech wasn't the only international communication whose penetration through the Iron Curtain helped tear it. And the libidinous desire to party is, even now, helping free the oppressed people of the Islamic Republic of Iran.

I cannot believe that authority, given the new tool for censorship you propose, would refrain from using it to repress dissent as well as sexuality. Censorware has been used to block political sites and news sites. This tool will be used the same way.

ALEX R. COHEN
Editor in Chief
The Free Student
http://www.thefreestudent.com

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy