Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: fnord
Date/Time: Sun, June 18, 2000 at 10:06 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: use of ccTLDs

frank s. writes:

>The reason there is less cybersquating in the .ca and .au namespaces is because nobody wants to be in those namespaces.<

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. First, cybersquatters have registered yahoo.** and similar in any country which allows it, most all of them with smaller markets than .ca or .au. Why would they bother if no-one went there. Second, Yahoo and other major sites do also have functional sites on .ca and .au, sometimes region specific, sometimes just redirects, but if the country codes weren't used, why would they bother? Third, sites such as chapters.ca, which is sort of an amazon.com for Canada (except that the latter is also at amazon.ca), also have .com equivalents but market themselves using .ca in the Canadian market.

>As for the practise of purchasing more than one or many thousands of domain names or the "intended use" of domains... that is not for you or I to judge.<

Where is that written down? Most of us make judgements every day, some of us even share their rationale for doing so, there's no shortage of email, websites, usenet posts, doing so right now. Is that wrong? My judgement on buying domains for speculative purposes is that it's a fine hobby, so long as it isn't intentional trademark infringement or blatant extortion, ie: cybersquatting. I doubt that one person in a hundred with that hobby will turn a profit on it. The hobby shops are probably making absurd profits though. But other than it requiring those who intend to run functional websites having to get a bit more creative with their names, no harm no foul.

>The .ca, .au and other restrictive registries worldwide would be well served to adopt some or all of the policies of their more successful kin, lest they regulate themselves into further insignificance.<

Well, they're both opening up now so the hobbyists can add to their collections. Pity they can't put them on a shelf like a card or a beanie baby but to each their own.

d_d@email.com - email without ICANN in Subject: line is blocked

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy