Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: wiredz
Date/Time: Tue, June 27, 2000 at 5:28 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: SUGGESTION

I think ICANN Should Form a VOTEING SYSTEM for the creation of new gTLDs similar to USENET BIG 8 Discussion newsgroups voteing system.

If I wanted to create news://comp.os.linux.sucks USENET newsgroup/discussion forum, the process would be :

1. Write up a RFD - Request for Discussion
         2. Contact the UVV at uvv@uvv.org and make arrangements for them to carry out the votetaking.
         3. The UUV will post a CFV - Call for Votes, usually to the comp.announce newsgroup and if there are a certain number of YES votes, the newsgroup will be accepted.

So, I hope if ICANN staff are reading this, all new gTLDs should be created in this similar fashion so that ICANN can prove its credibility and accountability to the internet community. Remembers, its the netizens who register a 2nd-level-domain, either for business use or personal use, thus, we, netizens should be allowed to determine whether we want such new gTLDs.

I propose for :

.COM, .NET, and .ORG ("NSI Registry") to be split into 3 different registries. Each company shall only operate *ONE* registry.

I appeal ICANN to conduct a voteing section to breakup NSI's monopoly in the 3 registries.

Maybe, we should add to the Root, these names :

.WEB ?

:)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy