Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Sat, July 8, 2000 at 3:15 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN, WIPO, ARBITERS & INSANITY.

This is perhaps my last big stint on this message board before ICANN goes to conference in Japan. (No promises, though.)
I want to address something that I--and many others--have already addressed: the matter of ICANN, WIPO and the arbiters.

I chose the nickname WorldThoughts for a reason. Perhaps my views are not embraced by all. Perhaps some are. Perhaps not. Nonetheless, I gave myself this nickname on this board because I came here to talk about certain issues relevant to all of us: legislation that rules our lives.

Not corporate lives, but the lives of people.

You. Me. Just about everyone I have seen post on this board, regardless of whether or not we are in agreement.

ICANN, WIPO, OTHER ARBITERS: THE FOLLOWING IS FOR YOU TO READ, SLEEP ON, INGEST, AND COMPREHEND:

Many of the rulings from such councils as WIPO are a disgrace to human decency and basic intelligence. Many people think you are embarrassing yourselves with such an incessant display of poor and improper judgment.

Yes, there are trademarks in this life. However, there are generics that should be protected as much as trademarks--not as some component in some abstract law; but because it connects to basic human rights and freedom.

I don't care whether or not J-Crew has the word "crew" in their name. I do not even care that they are casually referred to as "Crew." This circumstance does not warrant their domination (and monopolization) of that word in all mediums, in all realms, in all occurrences, in all corners of this planet. Plain and simple.

This to me is a Truism that most people, I think, can comprehend. Yet it has eluded you, WIPO. And you don't even know enough to be embarrassed. That is how much of an abomination you have become.

Arbiters (I believe WIPO) are sitting on the fence with Corinthians.com. In one of my recent posts, I thought arbiters had already ruled against the domain owner. Perhaps they indeed have. Nonetheless, this post addresses the trend that has been evidenced from WIPO--one that stretches into either stated or un-stated policy. YOUR JUDGMENTS ARE BASED IN NONSENSICAL PRINCIPLES.

Let's assume for a moment, WIPO, that you have either ruled in favor of the complainant of Corinthians.com, or are considering it. (In the end, this could be about any number of other generics you have ruled on.)

Okay, so there is a company and team out there bearing the name "Corinthians." They dug into human knowledge and extracted a word that was already in existence. They did not make it up. They did not create a word that was to serve as a trademark to signify their identity. They borrowed a word from one of the languages on Earth.

They cannot, therefore, monopolize all occurrences of that word, in whole, in part, or in a string of words.

I do not need to educate you further on the origin of the word, "Corinthians" or the biblical reference. I will not insult your intelligence regarding facts. I am too busy insulting the intelligence of your rulings based upon extrapolations you make FROM THE FACTS.

Now understand this: new TLDs are being introduced so that generics can be offered to the rest of the world, when they are otherwise occupied by .com, .net and .org site developers.

If you believe that Corinthians.... a generic and commonly used word......can be monopolized by a company--then you are saying that they have the legal right to this word in the .com TLD, the .net TLD, the .org TLD, the .web TLD, the .biz TLD, the .shop TLD, the .banc TLD, the .cc TLD, the .tv TLD, the .ws TLD, etc, etc. And they have but to ask for the respective domains. And since it was your ruling that "Corinthians" is a protectable trademark, the turnover of all the above "Corinthian" permutations should be immediate; no need to reconsider the same rights of the trademark holder for each of the TLDs in existence.

This is what your ruling says.

Now consider all the other companies and organizations that bear the word "Corinthians." Are they therefore not all in violation of the trademark holder? If the supposed trademark holder is the singular party that deserves Corinthians.com, is this not self-evident?

But what about all the other occurrences of the Corinthians trademark as claimed by other companies? Do they ALL have a right to each and every TLD occurrence of that word--and all derivations?

The following is a short list of domains I came across using the Yahoo and Infoseek
search engines. All of the websites are owned by people with the word "Corinthians" in their company/organization

Corinthian Colleges              http://www.cci.edu/
Corinthian Internet Services     http://www.cis.net.au/
Corinthian Yacht Club            http://www.cyc.org/
Corinthian Doors                 http://www.cordoors.com.au/
Corinthian Sailing Association   http://corinthians.org/
Corinthian Hockey Club           http://www.mdicomm.ie/chc/
Yale Corinthian Yacht Club       http://www.yale.edu/ycyc/

. . . are these companies/organizations in violation of trademark law?
. . . or do they not all have equal rights to the Corinthian.com domain?
. . . The answer to both questions is "no."  Corinthians.com rightfully belongs to the individual who registered or bought it--to use in any way he or she deems fit. That is equity in MY book, WIPO.

The following are other sites on the Internet that have been registered, that include the word "Corinthians." (source: www.whois.net)

corinthianadvisors.com
corinthianasia.com
corinthian-capital.com
corinthianbaptist.org
corinthian-diagnostic-radiology.com     
corinthian-consulting.com
corinthianbaptistchurch.org
corinthianbooks.com
corinthian-security.com
corinthian-rug.com
corinthian-funds.com
corinthian-intl.com
corinthian-healers.org
corinthian-gallery.com
corinthianbroker.com
corinthiancapital.com  
corinthiancapitalgroup.com  
corinthiancatering.com         
corinthianclaims.com
corinthiancolumn.com     
corinthiancricketclub.com 
corinthiancustom.com 
corinthiandesign.com 
corinthiandesigns.com    
corinthianevents.com
corinthianfc.net
corinthiangames.com
corinthiangardens.com 
corinthiangolf.com
corinthiangroup.com
corinthianhealth.com
corinthianhealthcare.com
corinthianhomes.com
corinthianhouse.com     
corinthianhouse.org       
corinthianinc.com     
corinthianinsurance.com 
corinthianize.com     
corinthianizes.com     
corinthianlane.com  
corinthianlane.net     
corinthianltd.com    
corinthianmarble.com     
corinthianmarbleworks.com
corinthianmedical.com  
corinthianmedicalstaffing.com  
corinthianmortgage.com
corinthiano.com       
corinthianonline.com       
corinthianparking.com    
corinthianpartners.com    
corinthianplc.com     
corinthianpointe.com    
corinthianproperties.com     
corinthianrecords.com     
corinthianrugs.com     
corinthians.cc     
corinthians-fc.com     
corinthianscampeao.com 
corinthianscampeaodomundo.com 
corinthianscampeaomundial.com        
corinthiansfinancial.com     
corinthiansintegratedscty.com      
corinthiansmeuamor.com     
corinthiansoftware.com        
corinthiansonline.com     
corinthiansreal.com         
corinthianstater.com      
corinthianstone.com  
corinthianstoneworks.com      
corinthianstudios.com  
corinthiansuites.com     
corinthiansworld.com    
corinthiantechnology.com      
corinthiantravel.com
corinthianvintagerace.com    
corinthianyachtclub.com       
corinthianyachtclub.net     
corinthianyachts.com   
corinthianyc.org     
emocaocorinthiana.com   
eusoucorinthiano.com
firstcorinthian.org  
firstcorinthians13.com 
icorinthians.com       
lojadocorinthians.com      
quesofcorinthian.com      
royalcorinthian.com     
royalcorinthianhomes.com       
soucorinthiano.com    
the-corinthian.com     
thecorinthian.com
thecorinthiangroup.com     
thecorinthians.com     
thecorinthians.org       
torcedorcorinthiano.com       
torcedordocorinthians.com

. . . are these domain holders/companies/organizations in violation of trademark law?
. . . The answer to both questions is "no."  Corinthians.com rightfully belongs to the individual who registered or bought it--to use in any way he or she deems fit. That is equity in MY book, WIPO.

The following is a list of businesses in New York and California that bear the word "Corinthians" in their business name. (source: AOL Yellowpages)

Corinthian Corners
Corinthian Apartments
Corinthian Suites Hotel
Corinthian Townhome Rentals
Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club
Corinthian Catering CO
Corinthian Missionary Baptist
Corinthian Suites Hotel
Corinthian Vigor Insurance Brokerage Inc
Corinthian Painting and Specialty Services
Corinthian Coach Limousine
Corinthian Funding Corporation
First Corinthian Baptist Church
Corinthian Travel
Pacific Corinthian Youth Foundation
Corinthian International Parking Service
Corinthian Turning & Mill
Corinthians Church of God ILN Christ
Pacific Corinthian
Corinthian Flowers of Saratoga
Corinthian Publication
Corinthian Foundation Inc
Corinthian Lodge 12
Corinthian Lodge 44
Corinthian House of Beauty & Barber Shop
Corinthian House of Beauty
Corinthian Mens Hairstyling
Corinthian Builders CO
Corinthian General
First Corinthian Baptist Church
Corinthian-Feathered Nest
Ivery Corinthians
Corinthian Condominium Valet
Corinthian Garage Corporation
Corinthian Condominiums
Corinthian Physical Therapy
Corinthian Therapeutic Services
Corinthian Cast Stone Inc
Second Corinthian BAPT Church
Syracuse Corinthian Club Inc
The Corinthian Group Inc
Corinthian Media Inc
Corinthian Memorial Systems Inc
Unqua Corinthian Yacht Club Business OFC
Corinthian Diagnostic Radiology PC
New Corinthian Cleaners
Corinthian Partners LLP
Corinthian Diner Restaurant
Corinthian Pools
Corinthian Vigor
Corinthian Marketing Inc
Corinthian Marble
Corinthian International Parking Service
Corinthian Group
Corinthian Appraisers
Corinthian House Residence Inc
Corinthian House RES Inc
Corinthian Care Center

(All other instances of "Corinthians" in businesses throughout the REST of the world were omitted due to common sense. Sprry if there was some repetition.)

. . . are these companies/organizations in violation of trademark law?

Who else is in violation of the alleged (and only) "Corinthians" trademark?
The owner of eCorinthians.com?
How about e-Corinthians.org?
How about iCorinthians.net?
How about TheCorinthians.cc?

New TLDs are being added so that generics can be spread around to more people. Will the PURPOSE of these TLDs be obliterated because you view generics as intellectual property of trademark holders--to own in all mediums, all over the place? If you continue with the kinds of rulings that have made you infamous, this is precisely what you will do.

WIPO, with all due respect, if you rule against the current owner of Corinthians.com (if you have not already done so), you are either insane or evil.

As you were with Crew.com and a myriad of other domains.

Which is it? Are you evil or insane?

And GIVE UP your interpretation of the term "bad faith." You have totally bastardized the meaning of the phrase. It has been thrown about so much that it has come to mean nothing; it now serves as NOTHING but a buzz word.

Bad faith does not exist when someone registers a generic.
Bad faith does not exist when a domain is used in connection to what it implies.
Bad faith does not exist when the contents of a site have nothing to do with the meaning of the domain word itself.
Bad faith does not exist when someone speculates on a generic domain, even. The resale of domains should be none of your business. Domains are sometimes commodities between parties. And it keeps the Internet alive. Be grateful you will all have jobs as a result.

Last I saw, the buyer is not forced to buy the generic. And commerce is good for the world at large, ya know.

Bad faith might exist if I were to buy FordCars.Biz and try and peddle it off to Ford at an inflated price.

But would bad faith exist if I set up a site to complain about the Ford Motor Company? Is that not my right? How about if I wanted to develop a site to express my adoration for Ford cars? Would I have registered that domain in BAD faith? Would I be USING the domain in bad faith?

ICANN, get out of the "bad faith" discussion. WIPO, redefine your version of the phrase, and use it PROPERLY for once.

Furthermore, ownership of 300 or 30,000 generic domains does not indicate bad faith. It indicates an extensive business plan, whether that plan is for development or yes, speculation.

Tend to your business, ICANN and WIPO. ICANN, your business is to protect the Internet root, and to make sure that registries and registrars abide by their contracts. It is NOT to judge the content of a domain, to judge when a domain should be FILLED with content, or how many domains a person owns. Do not put such restrictions on an unrestriced TLD.

And WIPO--STOP PRETENDING AS IF THERE WERE SUCH RESTRICTIONS. IF YOU WERE JUDGES IN A COURT OF CRIMINAL LAW, AND RULED AGAINST DEFENDENTS WHO COMMITTED NO CRIME, BUT DID THINGS YOU WISH WERE ILLEGAL, YOU WOULD BE DISBARRED!

What's next, WIPO? Are you going to claim that a person's site doesn't utilize a design best befitting the domain name, and it should therefore be taken from him and given to the complainant who has a better vision?

Where do you draw the line?

WIPO, it is in your best interest to act with sobriety, fairness, and human decency. If you continue to abuse your posts, you will be dismantled, and all your arbiters will lose their cushy, ego-reaffirming positions way up there on Mount Olympus.

Wake up, WIPO. Wake up, ICANN. Stop abusing your positions. Stop ruining the legitimate personal endeavors and business plans of others. Stop prying purses from old ladies, to give it to whining complainants that somehow fuel some twisted agenda that you have.

You are dealing with people's lives.

And for g-d's sake, PLEASE stop misusing the phrase "consumer confusion" as you do with the phrase "bad faith." Your overuse of the phrase destroys the genuine eventuality.

If I went to Crew.com and saw someone's life story plastered on the site, or an analysis of naval history, or message boards for various groups of people, I wouldn't stare at my computer and say, "Damn, now where the hell do I buy those nifty shirts?"

Don't embarrass yourselves by presuming to legislate in lieu of common sense. Common sense hasn't gone anywhere. Except, perhaps, your own.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy