Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Sat, July 8, 2000 at 8:22 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: No.

<<<  Will these posts ACTUALLY be considered by ICANN? I hope so!  >>

I seriously doubt ICANN will even more than glance in this direction. And I expect WIPO cares even less than ICANN does, about what we say on this message board.

WIPO will be smacked down hard, I feel, when enough dissent has transpired. But not before doing some terrible damage to people, to law and litigation, to businessess and to the concept of freedom; I think WIPO will eventually be either dismantled or restructured. At that time the arbiters will leave their posts, content that they helped shape a world, and advanced legislation even though they were not voted in to be legistlators.

Think about how that impacts the system, and ordinary lives.

I DO believe many of the arbiters are operating in a capacity beyond their mandate, intoxicated by the power that they have. And I DO believe they have a hidden agenda as it relates to the their ultimate legal specialty: trademark law and litigation. I fully believe that these individuals seek to set a precedent on the books that will advance the field in which they have served their lives--and their names will be circumscribed alongside their rulings--rulings that can operate as pseudo or de facto laws. Noteriety, even of a dubious sort, is appealing, is it not?

These are people that don't seek to rule according to law. These are people who want to push the envelope and rule in a way as if they were WRITING law.

When the arbiters made their decision to give Crew.com to J-Crew, the clothing manufacturer, there was one dissenting arbiter, G. Gervaise Davis III, who did not sanction the turn-over of the domain. He said as follows:

DISSENT BY PANELIST

"I respectfully dissent from the decision of the majority of this panel because their decision creates and applies a test for "abusive domain name registrations" which is not, in my opinion, part of the ICANN Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy nor consonant with the stated and very limited purpose of this Policy. It does so in what I deem a mistaken view that it is up to the panel to enforce a non-existent policy of ICANN to prevent people from registering domain names for resale to others than the trademark owner. Whether such activity is proper or improper is not before us under the ICANN Policy and we do not, in any event, have the authority to so decide under the ICANN rules. Even if the decision were correct under the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act 1, which I do not think is the case, we are not here authorized to apply that Act which differs significantly from the ICANN Policy and Rules. The majority decision goes far beyond the scope of the present ICANN Policy....................

".............. We are not legislators, but arbitrators. The majority, in an effort to stop a practice that it seems to take upon itself to believe is an unstated purpose of the ICANN Policy, has completely over-stepped its mandate as arbitrators. The decision creates a new and unauthorized test out of whole cloth, based on assumptions of fact by arbitrators without evidence on the subject, instead of using the appropriate and carefully crafted three step test for required evidence set out by the ICANN’ Policy and Rules. In my judgment, the majority's decision prohibits conduct which was not intended to be regulated by the ICANN policy. This creates a dangerous and unauthorized situation whereby the registration and use of common generic words as domains can be prevented by trademark owners wishing to own their generic trademarks in gross. I cannot and will not agree to any such decision, which is fundamentally wrong. I respectfully dissent from the majority decision of my fellow professional panelists."

The above statement by this one exceptional dissenting WIPO arbiter is profound. To him, I tip my hat in respect and exclude him from the comments I level on WIPO above and in other posts.

Read his full statement, and the ruling of the other arbiters at:

http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/d2000-0054.html

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy