Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: friedrich
Date/Time: Sun, July 9, 2000 at 10:39 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: You are a strenuous person Nestor, but the .reg solution is imperative.

Dear Nestor

I know what it means to follow this forum - never before was there as much interest as now. And your comments contain a lot of interesting thoughts.

But in the .reg issue you are not quite right. I am a trademarkholder and for me the solution you propose would be perfect. But it wouldn't be fair.

You must understand that on the domain level of the existing internet whether it is a gtld or a cctld THERE CAN'T BE ANY TRADEMARK PROTECTION. Everyone knew this when registering.

The trademark question was introduced only recently, in order to get an advantage. I have the means to defend my domain names AND to get your domain names if I want - good for me. Judges currently use to decide in favour of business people like me.
But it is simply unfair and I am against an unfair policy.

If you declare the existing internet as a trademark area - no problem for me. Of course it is the easiest solution, but an unfair one.

Therefore you have to create a trademark area in the internet.
Believe me, I know why I proposed what I proposed.

No matter, if you introduce a .reg, .tm and .1 or a .reg, .reg./country or .reg/class or .rcom, rnet, .rorg, rweb or whatever other combination:
You have to give trademarkonwners like me an appropriate new space in the internet. Of course I will also try to register in the non-trademark area, but knowing that I get no trademark protection there and no right to rip off others.

This would be fair for both sides and that's why I am advocating it.

Thank you!

Regards,
Friedrich

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy