Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Nestor DR
Date/Time: Mon, July 10, 2000 at 11:56 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: IF THE POWERS-THAT-BE OFFICIALLY EXPAND THE ROLE OF ICANN RE TRADEMARKS YOU MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING

Dear Friedrich:

If the world were only that simple.  Please look at my subject line above -- it's self-explanatory.

I'm not suggesting that the role of ICANN be expanded to arbitrate in the trademark business, as there is currently established jurisdictions to administer such an area.  On the other hand, an innovative approach may include that the existing duly created Trademark public agencies work in a coordinated manner with ICANN, and/or the Registries to seamlessly address this very real issue.  Of course, this seamless coordinated effort will require substantial energy and resources from all involved. 

Consequently, who should assume such a responsibility and do we, the people, want this?  If yes, this may be a very popular topic in the current political, private and public environments. If not, then the timing will have to give way to the desires and the ripenning of the issues.  To just put all these things, de facto, in the hands of ICANN to solve, as if the .REG were the silver bullet, certainly denies the roles of our institutions and the processes we the people use to reach decisions on things that matter to us, be it domestically (locally, Statewide, nation-wide) and/or internationally (globally). 

In any event, let's be cognizant that the issues are complex and the answers can not always be found at a single place, or with a single player, or with a single step.  I love what our forefathers and what our institutions represent and I have full confidence that the system works most of the time in the best interest of the public good.  Therefore, let's face the issues fairly and squarely, and let's start thinking about letting the established bodies whose purview it is to attend this issues get duly engaged.  Let's not shift responsibilities or wish that apples can be dealt with in the same ways that oranges can. Let's do things right and let's frame them right.

Very Truly Yours,

Nestor Requeno
Los Angeles, County of Los Angeles, California USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy