Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Nestor DR
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 8:23 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: INTERESTING TWIST -- I NOTICED YOU'VE CHANGED YOUR POSTION TOWARD THE OPPOSITE POLE OF THE ISSUE

Dear Friedrich:

I notice that you have modified your advocacy for .REG to NO-REG. It seems that *all or none* would not be effective in this case. IMO something needs to be done by ICANN while still staying within the confines of its mission and its scope. 

Believe me my dear Friedrich, ICANN is among the "smartest" organizations I've encountered so far . . . They (we) are in the right track as this new "competitive space" gets developed (i.e., the administration of Internet issues). 

In my experience in working with and through large organizations (and lean ones like ICANN), I've learned that solutions and results are real if all players come to the table and worl-out solutions to solve them.  Currently, (and this is not to brag, it's just to support my point), here in Los Angeles County where I reside, and in the whole United States, we are involved in implementing unprecedented policies which REFORMED other 60 year old policies and the results are promising so far.  The new policies that are being implemented in the areas of self-sufffiency, economic responsibility and long-term family well-being are MACRO, and they seem to be having great success, while there is still room to effectively continue to address the complexities and the diverse needs involved.  I say this because the area of Trademarks and the Internet are not much different, other than the Internet is a relatively new territory, as opposed to modern/post-industrual/industrial  social and economic issues -- though everything seems to get more complex and continues to evolve.

The Internet operates within the physical, social, political/policy-making and organizational environments which will need to blend to effect the needed change(s) to meet everyday's evolving realities.  This takes time and energy, as it should sometimes in order to have the desired long-term results.  It would be undesireable to expect that everything should change in real-time -- while, instant and random change may be good for machines, that's not healthy for humans at all. Within this context, we (or maybe the new young generations coming in the next few years to this arena) WILL get this stuff within an understandable and livable organized chaos.

To this end, critical mass needs to develop both in bringing a broader Internet-user base to add to the desired relevance of the Internet gobally, including for those families who are economically disadvanteged and struggling to become/remain self-sufficient.  Once the Internet reaches critical mass proportions, and it seems headed in that direction, then it will become more and more an area of dedicated/focused attention to raise its issues to the level of the policy-making process. 

For now, as this forum has evidenced, we're not there yet.  For now, what's critical is to continue to develop a solid foundation for the potential and the vision of the future, including the technical/coordination/administrative aspects of the Internet. 

That is where we are and this is where we take-off from.  Let's continue to dedicate our energy and our resources--hard and soft--toward the implementation of short-term goals (e.g., whether or not to have a new TLD & firming-up ICANN organizationally-- these are what I call the "WHAT".

Then,, during the next six (6) to twelve (12) months, we should also fully realize the current planning/working toward the mid-range goals (i.e., if new TLD, then how do we implement them?; Do we initiate/complete the upgrade toward IPv5 or IPv6?; how do we firm-up ICANN's intra-organizational structure?; how do we firm-up collaboration within the technical and non-technical community?; how do we outreach and firm-up the global Internet structures/community?-- Etc.--this is what I call the "HOW".

Finally, we need to plan strategically toward the vision (e.g., trademarks; Internet relvance in the context of wireless/mobile/digitied technology and an ultimate outcome of quality of life due to Internet use).

For now, we need to stay focused and keep the eye on the prize while we move toward these priority of events/efforts. 

In this, I need to tell you that I've valued the fact that we have dialectically shared and discussed our views and opinions.  I.m sure that all I've said is second-nature to you and to most of the readers, yet values and beliefs are the stuff that glue and achor a person's character, actions, and arguments. In this, I thought I shared some of mine with you.

I look forward to collaborating-on, debating and/or developing future ideas with you through this forum toward our common goals.  Best wishes and good health !!!

Very Truly Yours,

Nestor Requeno
Los Angeles, County of Los Angeles, California USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy