Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: neomax
Date/Time: Thu, June 1, 2000 at 11:07 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: In support of the rules as written

Given the advantages that the NOMCOM candidates will have including peer recognition in their own spheres of influence, there is little doubt in my mind that they will be swept into office regardless of what changes or reforms of the system are proposed or engineered. This is inevitable and it is as planned by the ICANN board. 

Given that understanding, I personally endorse the board's requirements for self-nomination AS WRITTEN as the best alternative in the long run. My endorsement is not because they will provide a democratic result or a level playing field in this election or not flawed, but because their actions provide the necessary foundation for the democratization of the group over the long haul.

At this stage of the game, At Large members run the gamut of knowledge and understanding of the issues facing ICANN. Certainly most would agree that at best, the membership is unorganized.

ICANN is at a unique stage of its development as the world governing board of the Internet. In the context of American history, the time is roughly analogous to George Washington's first term - before partisan political parties emerged.  It didn't take long in those days for philosophical divisions to emerge … and it will take less time today.

Again, I support the self-nominating rules.  I do so because the rules as written will inevitably result in the creation of alternate nominating committees formed from among the ICANN At Large membership. These alternate NOMCOMs will make their decisions based on their view of the issues, and the decisions (right or wrong) that the ICANN boards makes. I predict these ad-hoc nominating groups will emerge from the utter defeat of those seeking nomination through these rules.

My belief in these rules is based on the fact that "At Large" Internet pioneers will be identified through this process for the first time. They will be offered the opportunity to see and know other interested pioneers from around the world. More important is that ICANN's At Large membership will come to know them as well. 

The unavoidable mistakes and miscues of the ICANN board will be communicated among these leaders and they will be the focal point dissent of the membership at large. If they are as bright as I suspect, they'll be much more organized when the next election cycle comes.

The point?

The rules as written are a first and necessary step if we are to bring responsible representation to the At Large membership. I predict this process will result in the creation of two or perhaps even five or more independent international groups, each promoting their particular vision of Internet in the 21st century and each nominating their own slate of candidates.

This won't happen until the next election cycle (or perhaps the one after that) but I have enough confidence that the ICANN leadership, as presently configured, will be able to maintain these rules and this opportunity for At Large representation. Having come this far, they'll not go back.

One final thought. I encourage all ICANN members to participate in the self-nominating process either as a voter or a candidate. Let's use this process to make the connections necessary to win an election and make a point … knowing that such a victory is highly unlikely in this cycle.

G. P. Hughes
Marietta, GA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy