Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: neomax
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 3:09 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: RE: I don't fully agree

Trickstar:

I understand your objection and I too acknowledge the legitimacy of the issues pointed out by numerous people regarding the restrictive nature of the rules as written.

My point is that the rules as written are the "devil we know."  While they are not a slam-dunk for democracy, if you've got a little imagination; the task of winning can be accomplished, if not in this election cycle, in future cycles.

I would also point out that even the experiment in constitutional government in the US started out with significant restrictions on who could be voters. For instance not only did one have to own property, but that person had to be male. The vote for women was an early 20th century event.

Also consider that in the earliest times of this republic, members of the US Senate were selected by the various state legislatures. (There was no popular vote for the US Senate.)

The point here is that the powers that be are by nature cautious and fearful of lessening the restrictions on the franchise to vote.

While we in North America, portions of Asia and much of Europe are comfortable with free and open elections, the Internet involves a world-wide constituency. Many areas of the world are not at all comfortable with giving their users any rights to vote on anything much less a free-wheeling roller-coaster ride into the reality of one-man one vote territory.

That all the constituencies that comprise ICANN have agreed on the rules as written is, in my opinion, a good first and acceptable step given the international nature of this body.

G. Patton Hughes
Marietta, GA USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy