Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: trickstar
Date/Time: Sun, June 4, 2000 at 11:28 PM GMT
Browser: Opera V3.62 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: I don't fully agree

> Given the advantages that the NOMCOM candidates will have including peer recognition in their own spheres of influence, there is little doubt in my mind that they will be swept into office regardless of what changes or reforms of the system are proposed or engineered. This is inevitable and it is as planned by the ICANN board. <

I agree with that part, but who gave the actual board the rights to put these structure and these rules "as is"?
If it will really be as you describe, then we've got just another institute claiming themselves to be democratic because of counting 20.000 (or whatever) voting members, without being democratic in any way. When only some of the board directors can be voted by the membership, and these ones are pre-chosen by NOMCOM, why go and vote or be a candidate at all?
Why did you register for the membership, if you think that you cannot really do anything? If it would be really as you say, then I request that the whole ICANN in their structure must be redesigned with the members themselves. Then we have to organize ourselves, initiate elections of representatives, have them discuss, plan and design the whole ICANN, with permanently opened ears for additional member-calls and ideas, and then try to persuade the actual board directors to adopt this plan.

As you see, that cannot and will not take place, so we have to use the (much to short) time we have now, and try to change the nominating process, so that it will not be, as you have exactly predicted.

Andreas Beer

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy