Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: mkr
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 10:14 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.61 using Macintosh PowerPC
Score: 5
Subject: General comments to the propousal

I have the following comments and suggestions.

1.- Geographical Division.
While I can or I can not agree with this division, I think it's important to clear the extent of each area, for example, and being a little "close-minded", the area designated as North America does not corresponds to the Geographic Area with the same name, by definition, North America gathers Canada, US, and Mexico, but Latin america also includes Mexico. So I think it should be better to number the regions than to use a name that may cause confution.  ( like DVD industry).

2.- Representation and Regions
If the intention of the ICANN at large membership is to be representative, I think current  procedure is quite unfair.  Just for a start it is obvious to anybody that US concentrates the largest number of users on the Internet at this point, maybe Europe has a close number to US and Canada, but Latinamerica has much less users at this time. So it's unfair to have a representative for Latinamerica and another for US and Canada, they are not in equal circumstances and they do not represent a similar number of people.

While it is important that smaller regions are represented, the importance on each director will always be determined by the number of people he represents, so it is quite important that the director's board of the ICANN at large meets this two aspects, represent the largest ammount of people and also represent all interests (including smaller regions, countries, etc;).

This also applies to the suggestion of splitting US into 2 areas I have read, if there are several candidates that get elected by the number of votes despite their region, there is no need to split any of the actual regions. 

So I suggest that insetad of electing  5 directors, the number should be increased to 7 or 8, one for each region (5) and another 3 among the candidates that did not win but gathered a high number of votes, just as an example, if there a number of cadidates for US & Canada region, the one with the largest number of votes will be elected for that region, but the candidate which occupies the second place may have more votes actually than the candidate who won in Latinamerica.  Thus what I suggest is that the first 5 places are elected by the propoused procedure and the other 2 or 3 are occupied by candidates from all regions that did not get elected on their own region but have gathered the largest ammount of votes. This is called in Mexico proportional representation.  And over the voting procedure, each individual member could vote twice, one time for his favorite regional candidate and the second one for his favorite candidate despite region (could vote for the same candidate both times).  The first vote is used to elect the first five directors the second is for the last 2 or 3.

3.- Representation and Number of Candidates.
There is not any given number for how many candidates could be included in the ballot, if the minimum support required is the 10% then, it could be 10 candidates at most plus the ones nominated by the Nominating Committee, but there should be a minimum number (I suggest 1) of self-nominated candidates and a limit to the candidates nominated by the Nominating Committee, because there is a chance for a certain region to have no self-nominated candidates.

So I suggest that the rule for accepting a self-nominating candidate (9b) must be something like:

9. To obtain a place on the final ballot, an individual seeking self-nomination must meet the following conditions:

a.Support from 10% of the At Large Members in her/his geographic region, as defined by the ICANN Bylaws; and

b.Support from residents of at least two (2) countries.

c. If there are no individuals seeking self-nomination that meet the above two conditions, then the single individual with the largest support (the bigger number of supporters) will be incuded in the ballot.

Why ?.  Because otherwise, the Nominating Comitee could be imposing his candidates or at least it might be taken by members in this way. 

4.- Declining, Absence and other issues.
The currect rules does not contemplates the case of a declining candidate during the election process, and worst, what happens in case of special conditions like illness, death, etc;

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy