Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: sstallings
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 2:06 AM GMT (Fri, November 10, 2000 at 10:06 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN = It's a Correct Application Nepotism-pal NSI !

Myself included, I think the majority of us are interested in the IOD decision, one way or the other. But I decided to read up on the other pages contained under "Analysis and Recommendations" and wow, what a shocker. They go to great length to discredit IOD, but fail to analyze the flaws in the other applications. They take the fact that IOD is a small company and use it against them. (Remember compitition, ICANN? Every giant of a company started as a twinkle in someone's eye.)

Check out this quote (there were literally dozens of others, but this was the last one I read, so the one I chose to use):

"The technical team concluded that dotLAW's proposed technical plan did not support the proposed business plan in several areas, including lack of experience in running a registry of a comparable size and an inadequate fault tolerance design. "

Is dotLAW not allowed to at least give it a try, ICANN? When NSI first got started, they sure as heck didn't have experience. This statement almost makes it sound as if ICANN is only interested in extending existing monopolies.

And yes, I know I didn't include the full quote -- my point here is instead of kicking those apps down, ICANN should do what it can to help those applicants develop a BETTER application -- Almost everyone is treading on new ground here -- to my knowledge, this type of application as never been requested before, and there's no way to back up with hard data what should be on the apps. You'll notice ICANN feels Affilias' app is perfect; of course it is! Ken Stubbs knew beforehand *exactly* what ICANN was going to be reviewing for.

I also get the impression that ICANN really feels as if they're above the internet body, and more importantly, the law. In the suit brought forth by ESI, ICANN writes "Procedurally, ICANN objects to being required to litigate the matter in Missouri." (BTW, I personally agree with ICANN that the lawsuit is merit less, but this statement was particularly disturbing -- where did they expect the lawsuit to proceed? In Belize?!!)

I've spent the better portion of this afternoon trying to figure out how ICANN could be brought to justice and I just don't see it happening. I will go on record however and state that Chris, if you want it, let me know and I'll write a check to help with your legal expenses today. I registered my .web's knowing it was a gamble, but also because I believe in the spirit of your company and idea.

Sean Stallings

--
Sean Stallings
sean@jokeserver.com
http://www.jokeserver.com/

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy