Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: pilot5
Date/Time: Sat, November 11, 2000 at 5:13 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V4.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Opposition To IOD Fees

From the Staff Report, "Opposition" To IOD:

“…the fact that NSI is clearly very profitable doing business at $6 indicates to me that a $15 registry fee is excessive.”

Actually, NSI may lose money charging $6.00.  They don't care. They'll make it back from the end user, gouging consumers for "extras", or "premium" services.

Example:  If you are an NSI customer, and want to transfer ownership/registrant of a domain name, it will take them weeks to accomplish it.  But if you pony-up one hundred ninety-nine US dollars ($199.00), you can get the change done in 3 days.   Frankly, it should be done within a few days, for no extra charge.  One way NSI remains profitable is by gouging the consumer for services which should be considered standard services, not premium services. 

I'm happy with IOD's fees, because when you want to make a change, it gets done IMMEDIATELY, with NO EXTRA CHARGE!

See?

Whichever ICANN "evaluator" made the above mentioned comment, in opposition to IOD's application, showed either:   1.  A lack of understanding of NSI's profit/loss game; or   2. Unbridled bias, with the belief that bias would be disguised, due to the "evaluators" holy status as a participant in the decision process.

My point is, IOD could also remain profitable charging $6.00, instead of $15.00, if they porked consumers for extras.  They could sell everything from premium services to coffee mugs, to ass gaskets, and if they remained profitable, and only charged $6.00, instead of $15.00, ICANN would be in love with them.

Think it through, ICANN!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy