Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Mutley
Date/Time: Sun, November 12, 2000 at 3:29 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: EUGENE KANG (WIREDZ) EXPOSED

I have sat quietly reading and making notes.

Mr Kang, you make strong arguments for Afilias - most often by attacking Image Online.

However, you have stated here your reasons quite clearly.

You desire three .web sites.

my.web, host.web and portal.web

Unfortunately they are already registered at IOD.

Mark Brittan registered My.web and Host.web three or four years ago and Eirc White registered portal.web (I don't know when).

Undetered you have claimed the trademarks for these sites although they do not appear to be registered trademarks.

It is an unfortunate parody that the IOD CORE case is going to appeal.

If IOD wins then they have rights to .web and you lose and if IOD loses then the president is set that your trademarks are invalid and you still lose.

This is most likely the reason for the  public assaults on IOD, Mr Ambler and Mr Brittan.

I don't blame you. You are in a similar boat to many of us - just trying to claim a small attractive patch of internet-land.

You are entirely mis-lead though with your sunrise period plan.

Your domains will be registered with Afilias before you ever have a hope of getting them - just because they are too good.

I doubt if there will be any one or two letter word domains left at all after 60 days. There are very few one or two letter trademarks though!

If you work for Afilias and you want the domain a.web or my.web are you really likely to finish work on day 60 and then wait and see if its still available by the time you get home from work???

Throughout the two pulic forums you have been openly abusive to IOD regarding their application to .web.

I agree with you that at this stage the issue of whether IANA gave permission to IOD is redundent.

The fact is that for some reason a company set itself up in full public view and began registering domains just as others had done before it and it happened to coincide with the explosion of the internet. Suddenly the territory they had claimed went up in value and it has taken a multi billion dollar conglomeration to challenge it - and even then they make public provision to run one of two alternatives.

Don't pretend that the IOD application is poor - it is not.

Don't pretend that one company running the whole net promotes competition - it does not.

Be honest - admit that you missed out with IOD and either choose another domain (1host, host1, the-host etc are all available at IOD).

Remember only 20000 domains have gone. I read that Afilias have made provision to register 2000 domains per second! You will be excluded for the first 60 days (- thats over five million seconds). 

Failing that contact Mark Brittan. I don't know him but I saw his web site after it was posted in the last forum.

He runs some sort of web-share public service company - you could probably get the email address or web pages that you wanted anyway.

Jealousy is as unattractive as it is unecessary.

Eric

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy