Return to tldreport Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: huguesdb
Date/Time: Thu, November 16, 2000 at 12:28 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Who are we talking about? Kids, parents or publishers?

Allen,

YOu say "Moreover, I sometimes publish material that I wish children to see,that others may deem inappropriate for children. (Examples include on polyamory and paganism.) If children (or anyone else) is being restricted in what information that I (or groups that I support) wish to make available to them, then we are indeed being harmed."

So because parents chose not to allow their kids to see your material, you say a .kids should not exist? Wow.... I am confident that what you have to say is acceptable to most kids but it is precisly because parents wish to limit what their kids see that the .kids is needed. Paganism is fine for most mature kids... but then it depends: there are some frightening pagan rites that I would prefer not to have to explain until my kids are older than 12.

.kids is made to PREVENT unacceptable material reaching and influencing our kids. This is a restriction, a limitation and may go against your interests. Tough. My interest is making sure my kids can learn to use the internet as an education medium without exposing them to sleeze, libel and racial discrimination you *can* find on the net.

So in my view, .kids is made for parents to reconcile the net with their kids. The 'social policy choice' is irrelevant to ICANN... we are not asking ICANN to make such a choice...just to chose the best technical proposal. Parents will then make the choice.

Hope this helps. Please think again.

Best regards,
Hugues Du Bois
Switzerland

PS I have no link whatsoever with the .kids applications.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy