Return to wgc Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jmgraham
Date/Time: Wed, April 5, 2000 at 4:50 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: .WEB TLD

It has come to my attention that a company called "The .Web Internet Domain Name Registry" at http://webtld.com is presently offering domain registrations with the top level domain of ".WEB" and is charging customers $35 per domain name to register these names. The site also assures potential customers that customers who register with webtld.com will keep their .WEB domains when ICANN decides to release the ".WEB" top-level-domain officially. The company seems to think it has legitimate rights to the ".WEB" tld because of an agreement with IANA back in 1996.
    Just browsing the available domain names one can see there has been an effort by a small handful of individuals to corner the market on all generic domain names that were valuable as ".COM" names. Some of these individuals seem to work for webtld.com itself (For example: check out spider.web). Go to the site and check out who owns names like "loans.web", "internet.web", "web.web", "domain.web", "car.web", "computer.web" etc. You will see what I mean.
    I oppose the idea of allowing webtld.com to register ".WEB" domain names before anyone else. I think that members of the company and associates will become instant multi-millionaires (if not billionaires) if they are allowed to grab up all the valuable and popular generic names without fair competition.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy