Return to wgc Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kodo
Date/Time: Wed, April 12, 2000 at 7:57 PM GMT (Wed, April 12, 2000 at 2:57 PM EST)
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Anything is better than NOTHING !!

I have registered a couple .web names and a couple Name-space names as well. If they get added to the root - WONDERFUL! If not - oh well...

I don't want to argue semantics about who's system is better, or which model has the legal rights to do what. I (and the general public) DONT CARE about such problems. What I do want is the addition of new TLDs.

NSI has had a monopoly going for years now -- and they keep getting bigger all the time. Go check out NSI's filing with the SEC (see link below). They state quite blatently:

"WE RELY ON THIRD PARTIES WHO MAINTAIN AND CONTROL ROOT ZONE AND TOP LEVEL DOMAIN ZONE SERVERS"

They know they are a monopoly -- and they will do anything possible to protect that status. The "ARTIFICIAL SCARCITY" which com/org/net has created allows things like $3,000,000.00 domain names being sold. This is ludicrous! The US Government should have intervened back in 1994 and opened up the Root to new TLDs - but they didn't and all of us suffer because of that decision.

I don't care who is selling domain names.

I don't care how they sell them.

I don't even care what the names are.

I just care that new ones get created and the NSI monopoly and artificial scarcity is ended. There is NO technical reason that we cannot add new names today. It's all political. The reason that new domains haven't already been added is that someone somewhere is paying lots of money to prevent it from happening.

Give us CORE! Give us Name.space! Give us IOD!

But, most importantly --

GIVE US NEW TLDS !!!!

Link: NSI S-3 filing with the Securities Exchange Commission

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy