Return to wgc Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: kodo
Date/Time: Sun, April 16, 2000 at 10:46 PM GMT (Sun, April 16, 2000 at 5:46 PM EST)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Except for one little problem.....

ccTLDs were originally intended to be used by the citizens of the countries that they respresent. The idea of marketing these as alternative to "dot com" was pioneered by NU Domains LTD, and Tonic (from Tonga). I don't think that ICANN or IANA ever forsaw this happening. This is the strongest evidence yet that new gTLDS are needed. These ccTLD registries are not being administered by the local people, they are being exploited by some enterprising Americans who understand the value and the demand for new gTLDS to compete with "dot coms". If you go to the Tonic site (see link below) you will find this paragraph:

"All the good names are gone.Missed the boat? Maybe not. Thanks to the Pacific island kingdom of Tonga (and two enterprising young Americans) you have a second chance. Working out of their consulate in San Francisco, Tonga is now issuing domain names with their .TO suffix."

If gTLDS existed right now, nobody would be registering .to names except for Tongans. I don't doubt that the flow of money has helped their economies. And, the increase in sales has helped their infrastructure. This is a good thing. Don't get me wrong I am not against helping people rise above thier current economic status.

I am just suggesting that ccTLD's should not be marketed as an "alternative to dot com" names. If someone want to buy a ".to" name that is great... more power to them! But, don't stop the addition of new gTLDs because the country codes are being sold as substitutes. Nobody ever intended this to happen - it just did.

Link: Tonga Domains

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy