ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Iirresponsible and dangerous change to .COM and .NET TLDs

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Iirresponsible and dangerous change to .COM and .NET TLDs
  • From: "Aleksey Mikhaylov" <alelists@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:40:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Verisign changed the TLDs they were entrusted with in a dramatic way for the
only reason of increasing their profits. They did not consult the Internet
community and they got no approval from any recognized authority for this
action. This shows that such an important TLDs should not be run by
for-profit organizations and there should be a fair process of making any
significant changes to them. As a user and system administrator of
Internet-connected networks I am very concerned by the unpleasant suprise of
realizing that the way the Internet works can be changed by a commercial
entity like Verisign in their blind pursuit for cash. I was under the
assumption that changes like this have to go through a rigorous discussion
and aprroval process by the organizations like ICANN or IAB. I am still
hopeful that such organizations can correct the dangerous status-quo and
restore their authority over the critical piece of today's Internet
infrastructure - .COM and  .NET TLDs.