ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign is abusing the system

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign is abusing the system
  • From: Edward Reid <edward@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:20:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I strongly oppose Verisign's usurpation of unused domain names, for the
reasons given by others. First, the wildcard breaks parts of the
Internet. Second, Verisign has been been given a position of trust to
manage the DNS root servers; in this position it is not a competitive
entity and must not be allowed to act like one.

After I transferred my domain name from Verisign/NSI, I got a phone
call from someone doing customer service surveys for them. Few people
will be surprised that I rated them poor, bad, 1 out of 10, etc on
virtually all points, especially those dealing with customer service. I
imagine they got a lot of similar responses. But they don't seemed to
have learned anything -- they simply continue to abuse the user
community and pretend that it's an OK thing for a company in a position
of trust.

Edward Reid (who is glad that he has a .org domain name ;-)