ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign Wildcard Service

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign Wildcard Service
  • From: Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:33:44 -0700
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Dear ICANN,

I urge you in the strongest possible terms to terminate the Verisign contract for non-performance, because of their incompetant handling, and their flaunting of the goodwill of the community they serve.

Verisign's wildcard service represents a fundamental change in the operating assumptions of the .COM and .NET zones. This change poses significant user interface and security concerns to the worldwide use of those domains.

I fully concur with all the reasoning put forth by the IAB and ICANN's own security committee on this subject. In no way do I want my typographical errors being fed to Verisign's SMTP server. Doing so might divulge to them private information, such as legitimate return addresses. Indeed what would stop Verisign from accepting email, reading it, and then returning an error?

In addition, because the management of .COM and .NET is by its nature a monopoly, I am extremely disturbed by the apparent lack of oversight performed by ICANN and the Department of Commerce. Is it not sufficient that Verisign, whose first level customer service does not even understand the notion of a HOST record, be given a contract worth many millions of dollars?

Apparently not. Verisign is taking an unfair competitive position where they ought not be allowed to compete. If they want to have a portal like Yahoo or Google, let them invest *THEIR* money without interfering with the operations of the domains with which they are entrusted.

Sincerely,

Eliot Lear
San Francisco, CA