<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[wildcard-comments] Site Finder

• To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Site Finder
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:46:53 -0400
  • Organization: Eagle-WingAssociates
  • Reply-to: "Eagle" <Eagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I am not happy with the "Site Finder" service that VeriSign is forcing upon the Internet community. 

I am more than content to see a white error page when I type a wrong address into my browser.  I do not need assistance with searching the Web and I don't need marketing suggestions for related sites and products.

Far more serious is VeriSign's terms and conditions and privacy statement.  I have no choice but to wind up at their site if I enter a bad URL.  Upon arriving at Site Finder I am apparently bound by their terms and conditions and privacy statement.  Note:

*  Upon reaching Site Finder I am suppsedly bound by their terms and conditions.
   *  VeriSign provides no way to "opt-out" of their Site Finder service.
   *  VeriSign provides no means of contacting them.

In other words, by entering Site Finder I am being held subject to their terms and conditions and a privacy statment even though I did not wish to visit Site Finder in the first place!

This is irresponsible, it is ludicrous, and it is a violation of the trust placed with VeriSign. 

I would like to see them removed from ICANN's list of approved domain registrars immediately.  The offical(s) at their company that authorized this travesty should be fired and/or jailed.

This is a flagrant abuse of a monopoly.  If ICANN can't get VeriSign under their control then ICANN will have proven itself to be irrelevant and powerless. 

Harsh words?  Yes.  Do something while you still can!

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy