ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Unfair and irritating

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Unfair and irritating
  • From: Stephane Benoit <stefb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:00:42 +0200
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

We are a small isp in France and find it very irritating to see that
verisign has in some clumsy way *stolen* the unregistred domains.

for webbrosing users esp. foreigners switching from a native language error
message to english by producing a generic webpage. I reckon this *hack* was
perpetuated in the sole purpose of gaining a very high exposure and certainly
not with helping the users in mind. Therefore the *feature*, IMHO, should be
stopped ASAP.

I think also that it goes against icann's decision to dismantle netsol's gTLDs
monopoly, and is *very* unfair for all other registars.

i see an effctive growth in undetected spam (esp. with sendmail option "accept
unresolvable domain")

It's also wasting world wide bandwith, because a dns error response is so much
smaller than their 'default webpage"

I know there's a way round with an isc bind configuration directive, but this
means extra work for all dns admins.

Please, please make them stop.

Regards,
Stephane Benoit