ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Stop this wildcarding thing ASAP!

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Stop this wildcarding thing ASAP!
  • From: Kai Schaetzl <maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:31:38 +0200
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I couldn't believe they would do it, but they did. Our services rely
in several ways on proper DNS resolution and whether a domain record
really exists or not. We had to deploy new dns caching servers on our
machines to work around this major problem created by VGRS. This
costs more ressources and also cost us work time.
I ask ICANN to not only stop the new sitefinder "service" immediately
but also stop other TLD registries of doing the same. If a domain
doesn't exist (NXDOMAIN) the resolver should get exactly this answer,
nothing else.

Kai

--

Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany