ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Oppose Verisign's usurping of wildcards

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Oppose Verisign's usurping of wildcards
  • From: Chris Shenton <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:49:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Verisign has abused its monopoly position running .com and .net, and
the public trust with which it is supposed to run these critical
namespaces.  There are ample technical reasons why this should not
have been done but it's more important that this was done unilaterally
and with contempt for the rest of the Internet.

I urge you to pressure them to disable this so-called service.  If
they are non-responsive, as they have historically been, I urge you to
give the contract to some entity whose interests match those of the
Internet community at large -- preferably a non-for-profit so that
there are no financially-motivated conflicts of interest in the future.

Thank you.