ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign abuse of the DNS system

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign abuse of the DNS system
  • From: Paul Miller <millerp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:41:08 +0100
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Verisign's opportunistic adaptation of the DNS system represents the worst example to date of the problems of reconciling public interest role with commercial interest. In producing a system entirely for their profit, they have disregarded the greater responsibility they have to operate a key part of internet infrastructure.

To restore full operability to our networks we have had to block access to the sitefinder.verisign.com server, and are considering blocking access to entire ranges of the addresses assigned to Verisign to ensure that they do not disrupt our services further by changing the address returned by their wildcard server.

In effect we can no longer trust Verisign with the operation of the registry because we cannot trust their integrity. I therefore urge ICANN to revoke the Verisign contract as registrar for .com and .net gTLDs and replace them with a body that can be trusted not to interfere with the system for their own gain.

Regards

Paul Miller
--
Carib Data Limited