ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] DNS ROOT Server Hijacking by VERISIGN

  • To: "'sitefinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <sitefinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] DNS ROOT Server Hijacking by VERISIGN
  • From: Postmaster - NH Camp Pendleton <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:53:25 -0700
  • Cc: "'wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx'" <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

Title: DNS ROOT Server Hijacking by VERISIGN

   As a network manager for my organization of some 3000 users, I protest your stand on the newly launched SITEFINDER Wildcard domain service.  Your actions have caused some problems with the systems which I manage, especially the email servers.  I have 3 email gateway systems which an email must travel through before the final email gateway server attempts to make the connection to the internet.  In this case, any domain name typed with a .COM will cause a HIT on your 64.94.110.11 server.  Now if any one of these servers an email is hopping through malfunctions for any reason, the user will not get an ERROR message explaining that the DOMAIN name is wrong.  In fact, if all the servers function properly, the user receives an ERROR message stating that the USERNAME does not exist which is INCORRECT!  This causes troubleshooting to be taken to an entire new level when I'm dealing with my users.  Please recant, since the users I support are your users when it comes to the .COM resolution process.

Thank you,

Wayne Weaver
Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton
Network Manager