ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Sitefinder and WLS

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Sitefinder and WLS
  • From: "Page Howe" <page@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:15:48 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I think verisign can fend off challenges on this and other grounds, but it doing so it then points out that it is not a public service company, but a private corporation. I liken their situation to the NYSE with the Dick Grasso situation, he could either remain in power, or take the money.....he took the money.  but you cant have both.

Verisign can say that they are merely operating as a private company....but it was as the defacto internet address owner that they got their monopoly power.. this could be a case where they get to keep the money, at the expense of losing their job a private custodian of the addressing system... as to 2007, most of the executives options will be cashed in by then. I think their risk is challenge to the root before then... with competitors using their same strategy, if its not illegal, its legal.

The network solutions part of verisign has been in essence leaderless since it was abandoned by top management in 1999, then run without a CEO, then sold to verisign, who always viewed it as a division that needed to kick cash flow to the rest of the company.

more than stopping sitefinder, I am looking for some icann backbone to just not let them have it both ways on WLS and sitefinder.

in their case for WLS they use stability of the internet and leverage icann's power to prohibit free market solutions like namewinner, and other expiring names services.  they take a situation that was not regulated and put regulation, with them at the helm.

but in the case of Sitefinder, they want a hands off approach to let their free market solution work.

and then act like the spammers for .eu that i keep getting in the mail, and take pre-registrations for wls.
Page Howe
.Kids Domains Inc