ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] [Fwd: .com/.net Zone Management Policy]

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] [Fwd: .com/.net Zone Management Policy]
  • From: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:02:51 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:56:42 -0400
From: Ross Wm. Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: secsac-comment@xxxxxxxxx, steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: .com/.net Zone Management Policy

via email

Mr. Stephen Crocker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Chair, Security and Stability Committee <secsac-comment@xxxxxxxxx>
Internet Corporate for Assigned Names & Numbers

Dear Mr. Crocker,

I write to you on behalf of Tucows Inc. concerning Verisign's recent
arbitrary change to the behavior of the .com and .net zones. We
appreciate the efforts of ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory
Committee in organizing the community consultation that occurred today.
We would appreciate it if these comments were also entered into the
formal record of the proceedings.

Tucows is the largest wholesale domain name registrar and operates
registration services in a number of top-level zones. We also work
directly with thousands of Internet Service Providers and Web Hosting
firms in over 100 countries. We have had unique operational experience
in the field of TLD registry operations as the developer of the first
operational EPP registry platform, OpenXRS, which was used by Liberty
Registry Management Services, a former Tucows subsidiary, to operate the
.info domain name under contract to Afilias Inc.

In each of these roles, we depend on the stable and predictable
operation of the domain name system and the related infrastructure. We
trust that the respective operators will conduct themselves accordingly.
Verisign's recent actions were unannounced and unilateral. This
seriously damaged the trust relationship between the operators of the
domain name system and its users. Unless the community can place its
trust in the operators of the critical components of the domain name
system, there can be no stability and predictability in the domain name
system.

Tucows is involved with the operations of over 5000 domain name
resellers. They have spoken clearly to us. Verisign must not be allowed
to make arbitrary changes to critical infrastructure like the .com and
.net zones. In a recent survey of our resellers, 69.4% of respondents
were able to identify specific and measurable negative impact. They
reported malfunctioning applications, increased bandwidth usage,
customer confusion and increased support loads. Industry data indicates
that the average customer support call costs a provider between $25 and
$38. Service providers receive no consideration from Verisign for
answering customer questions resulting from Verisign's changes and none
of them will be able to recover these additional unexpected costs. This
is not the "prejudice and bias of a few folks who have a set way of
doing things," as Verisign has stated, but rather, a clear plea from a
large and directly affected constituency.

The internet does not exist to solely serve the interests of Verisign's
shareholders. ICANN has granted Verisign a lucrative long-term contract
only to operate the top-level zones for .com and .net. If they wish to
extract additional value from this exclusive grant, then ICANN must
first provide them additional rights for which the internet community,
via ICANN, should be duly compensated. This is not only a matter of
economics, it is a matter of trust - trust that must be restored as
quickly as possible. Restoring this trust may include the development of
a process by which registry operators can propose new amendments to
their operational agreement and have those amendments quickly approved
or declined. Without such a process, true operational stability and
security of this important resource will be hard to achieve.

Tucows continues to support ICANN's efforts to return the domain name
system to a more appropriate operational status and we are committed to
the discovery process undertaken by the SECSAC . We urge the
participants towards a resolution that meets the expectations of the
internet community and stakeholders in the domain name system by
providing clear and conscise terms of operation to Verisign Inc. and the
other registry operators.

Regards,

Ross Wm. Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> Director, Research & Innovation Tucows Inc.

Document Permalink:
http://blog.r.tucows.com/blog/_archives/2003/10/7/4096.html

--

-rwr

--
Regards,

-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one indispensable condition for social progress."
- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)