ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Will Verisign be expected to show the results of their comments form?

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Will Verisign be expected to show the results of their comments form?
  • From: "oatleyd" <oatleyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:54:58 -0400 (EDT)
  • Cc:
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

A page hosted by Verisign (http://www.sitefinderinfo.com/) contains a form that
is suspiciously labelled "Have You Had a Positive Experience with Site Finder?
Give us your feedback." I suspect that they will tell the world that they
received 450,000 "positive" comments, choosing to simply count the comments
submitted from this "positive experience" form, rather than read the
(undoubtedly mostly negative) content.

I chose not to submit a comment via this form, for fear that they would count
me as a positive vote. I asked them (at sitefinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) if they
would be revealing the comments publicly, and they replied:

"The information gathered from the survey is being used internally to
improve the Sitefinder service. At this time, we are not planning to
make the information public."

I would think this would be useful information to ICANN in deciding if
SiteFinder can be allowed to return. Perhaps ICANN could pressure Verisign to
reveal the contents of this survey, at least privately to ICANN representatives.

Dave Oatley

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.