ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign's actions

  • To: <wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign's actions
  • From: Shore <shorej@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:11:26 -0500 (CDT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I strongly encourage ICANN to view Verisign's actions for what they really
are:

a monopoly directly defying ICANN's authority over the .com/.net domains,

and a company driven by marketing, outside professional IT world be
damned.

My company has ceased all business relations with Verisign due to their
inept registrations of our domains.  All of our certs have been switched
to non-Verisign companies.  We've ceased all relations with that company
and have not looked back.  We've also implemented the ISC Bind patches to
enforce a delegation-only status on the .com and .net domains.  Verisign's
actions breach the trust of the Internet members that rely on the basic
services Verisign has a contract to provide.  Verisign's repeated
indifference to the sanctity and reliabilty of the Internet is more than
enough reason for their customers to drop Verisign services in a mass
exodus.  I believe it is more than enough justification to terminate their
contract and award it to a non-profit "trustworthy" institution.  I
strongly recommend that course of action.  Marketing can not be allowed to
drive a major change to DNS infrastructure.

Sincerely,
 Justin Shore

     Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.