ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign's SiteFinder "service"

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign's SiteFinder "service"
  • From: "Charlie Brooks" <ICANN.member@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:22:48 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

To whom it may concern:

  I am a computing professional with well over 25 years of experience in
industry, academia, and research science; I have created four Internet domains,
including designing and implementing domain name services.

  I consider Verisign's decision to implement the TLD wildcard to be proof that
their current management are unsuited to playing such an important role in the
global Internet infrastructure as .COM and .NET registrars.

  Making such a major change in the DNS should have been done with the full
participation of the majority of nameserver operators, and an open discussion,
if such a change should be implemented at all.  Verisign's unilateral and
basically careless approach to the matter shows that their greed far outstrips
their understanding of the importance of stable, predictable service.

  Thank you for allowing the Internet community at large to comment on this
matter.  I hope you will consider permanently replacing Verisign at the
earliest
possible opportunity, to discourage further behaviour of this sort.

--Charlie Brooks