ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS wildcarding

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Verisign DNS wildcarding
  • From: Richard Dulabahn <rdulabahn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:30:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

A quick comment, and one that I'm sure other people have said. It's wrong for 2 reasons.

1) This is out-of-spec, and will break things. Not following the correct specifications is what causes problems.

2) This is spam. I don't want Verisign's advertising anytime I mistype something.

I know Verisign is seeing dollar signs and rubbing their hands over all the free advertising they'll get to pipe to people. But consider the amount of negative press this will generate from people who depend on the specification documents, (for example, ISP providers). Now imagine what these ISP providers could do to block their "service".

Unless Verisign wants to have their address ranges mapped to 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file, they better lay off this lame brained scheme.