ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Regulation and ICANN's role

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Regulation and ICANN's role
  • From: Ralph Clark <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:42:13 +0100
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I speak as a frequent user of the internet for both commercial and private purposes ever since 1992.

I object to the co-opting of a fundamental part of internet infrastructure - and a service that is meant to be operated for the public benefit - for purposes of private commercial gain. I object to the way this was done without reference to the established regulatory authorities.

I'm sure the ICANN directors already know why it is bad for service providers to break established protocols.

The question is then whether ICANN has the nerve, and the muscle, to enforce policy. If they cannot then the technical operation of the internet will be effectively unregulated and that would mean many more operational problems in the future. I believe that it would be very dangerous to allow a precedent to be established here. Verisign must be slapped down hard.

Ralph Clark
Primatech Systems Ltd
United Kingdom