ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[wildcard-comments]

[wildcard-comments] Do not allow this to continue!

  • To: wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [wildcard-comments] Do not allow this to continue!
  • From: "Josh Zerlan" <joshz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:02:14 -0500 (CDT)
  • Sender: owner-wildcard-comments@xxxxxxxxx

I am deeply disturbed by the Verisign wildcard issues.  It has caused
numerous problems within the network I administrate.  The problems are not
relegated soley to web browsing.

During the time that Sitefinder was active, I was nearly unable to
effectively troubleshoot any problems with my own DNS servers and other
various machines connected to my network due to the fact that unknown
addresses always resolved to an IP.  For nearly 2 weeks, I thought one of
my domains that I handle was working properly, only to find out that it
really wasn't.  Why?  Because the IP resolved properly (but there was no
data on the site yet) and I did not actually verify connectivity to the
server... just that the domain resolved, as server content was irrelevent
at that point.

It is totally and utterly unacceptable for a single entity to make a broad
sweeping motion to completely change the fundamental interaction of
programs and users on the internet.  Unilaterally hijacking unregistered
(or improperly setup DNS servers) domain names is immoral and criminal.

Prior to this incident, I haven't given much thought to AlterNIC as a
viable solution to DNS resolution needs, but allowing this sort of stunt
to go on, and go unpunished gives me pause to consider AlterNIC as a
truely viable alternative.

Verisign should be disallowed to continue their actions, as well as be
stripped of all authority to administrate the .net and .com TLDs.  They
have repeatedly abused their position of trust, and they have repeatedly
disregarded the rules and regulations that are behind the smooth operation
of the Internet as a whole.  The customer service is non-existant as well.
 Verisign is not fit to handle anything that affects anyone but their own
customers.

Allowing this to continue will cause so many problems for my domains that
I will either install patches on my DNS servers to block Sitefinder
completely (and only do business with other peers that do the same) or
switch to AlterNIC.  I shudder to think of all the changes I will have to
go through on my network to circumvent an unscrupulous company such as
Verisign and I find it reprehensible that I should even be put in this
situation.

Thank you,

Josh Zerlan
Sprint PCS