Re: A New Beginning

> As expected, we have had the usual objections to
> the suggestions listed below:

Well, steering commitee or not, we *are* having a meeting in Boston on
the weekend of September 19th and 20th.

We will be meeting at the offices of Hale and Dorr in Boston.  They
have graciously offered us the use of their meeting facilities.
( See http://www.haledorr.com/ )

(But they will not be acting in a mediating capacity -- reaching an
agreement is *our* job. ;-)

Everyone who is willing to bring an attitude of constructive
compromise is invited.

The format will be on of focus - focus upon reaching agreement on a
concrete, specific proposal.

We will start with the IANA/NSI compromise, if any.

If we like it, we will adopt it.

If we don't like it we will examine it we will consider whether to
amend it, or if the changes would bee too significant, to write
something anew.  We will then act accordingly.

Hopefully we can begin this procedure *before* the meeting.  First, if
the NSI/IANA compromise document is published, we can discuss whether
to adopt it or not via e-mail.

If we don't quickly agree upon adoption, we should all have concrete
and specific proposals or fargments of proposals.

We must be prepared to compromise and work quickly.

I am not expecting that we have the final document reduced to legal
jargon.  I hope that we would end up with a highly detailed "term
sheet" that could be readily translated into legalese.

		--karl--