RE: [ifwp] RE: Better Safe, than Sorry! (was: It's been a pleasure)

Openness.

Transparency.

And above all, Accountability.

The -structure- of the organization must be designed to support these
principles. Since the beginning of the IFWP process, there has been an
awareness that Non-Profit corporations in the States do not naturally
support these attributes. There was considerable discussion about possible
alternatives, but before these were fully explored, IANA published its first
draft bylaws, assuming a California based non-profit, public benefit
corporation. This fundamental choice has not been significantly modified,
nor has there been a serious effort to design an organization that would
overcome the limitations of a non-profit. Some words have been added to pay
lip service to the principles above, but not in a way that would provide
fundamental, immutable support for them.

These are not flaws that can be overcome by tweaking.

I had hoped at one time that IANA's efforts were in support of what many in
the IFWP were trying to accomplish, but the -evidence- suggests otherwise.
Promises of future accommodation don't count. That would be irrational, and
against the better judgement of those who understand how even the best of
intentions can go astray.

There is still time to get it right, all I can do is hope that the will is
there.

Good luck to all, and with regards,

David Schutt