Re: A New Beginning

At 02:32 PM 9/7/98 -0400, Jay Fenello wrote:

>Members of the IFWP Steering Committee:
>
>The Internet community has expressed concern
>at the closed and limited nature of the current
>negotiations occurring between the IANA and NSI,
>especially given comments that no further input
>will be required from the IFWP participants.

Hmmmmmmm.  I am unaware of the "Internet community" expressing
concern over anything like this.  If anything, "they" are quite
positive about these current developments of IANA and NSI!!

>They feel that the legitimate consensus points
>found through the IFWP process will not be used
>in the establishment of the New Corp.  I must
>say that I share their concerns.

On the contrary, the IFWP did a fine job, and the results are
quite appropriately being included into the evolution of this
new corporation.

>Some of these members have decided to meet in
>Boston on the 19th of September as originally
>planned.  I would like to suggest the following:
>
>-	That the Steering Committee immediately change
>	the mission of the IFWP to include organizing
>	activities designed to foster the implementation
>	of the IFWP consensus points in the New Corp.

I will vote no to such a suggestion.  It is not only highly
unproductive, it is likely counter-productive and will only
introduce confusion.

>-	That the Steering Committee immediately sanction
>	the pending event under our new mission, and that
>	it begin planning an effective campaign to see
>	this process through to conclusion.

After almost three years, this complex issue is striving toward
reaching the beginning of a solution.  Your proposal will do nothing
but possibly derail it.  We have done our job in the IFWP; it's
time to move on.

Regards,
Don Heath