Re: [ifwp] Re: A New Beginning

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Dave Crocker wrote:

> >On the other hand I know few people who are "quite positive"
> >about the current developments at IANA and NSI.  The IANA drafts
> >ignore the recommendations of the White Paper, they ignore the
>
> In your opinion, perhaps.  In the opinion of many others, the IANA drafts
> are responsive to the White Paper.

It is difficult to see what leads you to this conclusion.  The corporation
described by the IANA drafts has no membership.  The board can change the
articles and the fundamental objectives of the company casually, without
any sort of due process or public hearings.  The board selects itself.
It is not accountable to anyone.

This is not consonant with the White Paper or the consensus results of
the 7 July Brussels meeting sponsored by the European Commission or the
results of the various IFWP regional conferences, all of which called for
a board accountable to a membership.

As usual you quote only part of what I wrote:

> > The IFWP promised an open resolution of this problem and in fact
> > made more progress on this issue than any other activity in the
> > preceding three years.  Your argument is that what was obviously
> > working should be junked in favor of what obviously did not work.
> > This is not a convincing argument.

If you don't understand what I wrote, I will paraphrase: the IFWP held
out the promise of an end to the DNS wars of the past two years; this
process gave us hope that the problem of how to provide a legal basis
for the IANA could be solved through open processes instead of deals
done behind closed doors.

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316