Geographic region

When defining geographic region it is always a good idea to look how
similar organisations solved the problem.  After looking around some
large international organisations including the ITU it seems to me that
we may want to have a look at the Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).  The
reference is http://www.iaea.or.at/GC/gc40/documents/gc40-11.html . The
discussion is rather entertaining and the resulting list is included
below.  I do not know if this reference is their latest split but the
number and composition of the regions does seem to be apprpriate for
IANA.  Note that the list does not cover all countries but is easily
extendable to do so.

I am personally a bit concerned about the 50% criterion in the current
draft. I would like to see that be reduced to -say- 1/3. Easy enough
to comply with 8 regions. Also it might be better to use nationality
rather then residence as the criterion because it is better defined and
not as easily changed. Otherwise a lot of arguments can arise if board
members move either during their tenure or just before they are
elected. I realise this would put those with multiple nationalities at
a disadvantage ;-).

Suggested wording:

   In order to ensure broad international
   representation on the Board, no more than
   one-third (1/3) of the total number of At
   Large Directors serving at any given time
   shall hold the nationality of countries
   in any one Geographic Region,
   and no more than one third (1/3) of the
   Directors nominated by each Supporting
   Organization shall hold the nationality of
   countries in any one Geographic Region.
   As used herein, each of the following shall be
   a "Geographic Region":

   I. NORTH AMERICA
   II. LATIN AMERICA
   III. WESTERN EUROPE
   IV. EASTERN EUROPE
   V. AFRICA
   VI. MIDDLE EAST AND SOUTH ASIA
   VII. SOUTH EAST ASIA AND THE PACIFIC
   VIII. FAR EAST

   The division of countries into regions is intially
   derived from the division used by the International Atomic
   Engergy Agency, an Agency of the UN. Changes to it
   will be decided by the board as necessary.

- -------------------

List of States by Region
(According to Article VI of the IAEA Statute)

I. NORTH AMERICA

Member States

1. Canada
2. United States of America

II. LATIN AMERICA

Member States

1. Argentina
2. Bolivia
3. Brazil
4. Chile
5. Colombia
6. Costa Rica
7. Cuba
8. Dominican Republic
9. Ecuador
10. El Salvador
11. Guatemala
12. Haiti
13. Jamaica
14. Mexico
15. Nicaragua
16. Panama
17. Paraguay
18. Peru
19. Uruguay
20. Venezuela

III. WESTERN EUROPE

Member States

1. Austria
2. Belgium
3. Cyprus
4. Denmark
5. Finland
6. France
7. Germany
8. Greece
9. Holy See
10. Iceland
11. Ireland
12. Italy
13. Liechtenstein
14. Luxembourg
15. Monaco
16. Netherlands
17. Norway
18. Portugal
19. Spain
20. Sweden
21. Switzerland
22. Turkey
23. United Kingdom of Great Britain
and Northern Ireland

IV. EASTERN EUROPE

Member States

1. Albania
2. Armenia
3. Belarus
4. Bulgaria
5. Croatia
6. Czech Republic
7. Hungary
8. Lithuania
9. Poland
10. Romania
11. Russian Federation
12. Slovakia
13. The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
14. Ukraine
15. Yugoslavia

V. AFRICA

Member States

1. Algeria
2. Cameroon
3. Ctte d'Ivoire
4. Egypt
5. Ethiopia
6. Gabon
7. Ghana
8. Kenya
9. Liberia
10. Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
11. Madagascar
12. Mali
13. Mauritius
14. Morocco
15. Namibia
16. Niger
17. Nigeria
18. Senegal
19. Sierra Leone
20. South Africa
21. Sudan
22. Tunisia
23. Uganda
24. U.R. of Tanzania
25. Zaire
26. Zambia
27. Zimbabwe

VI. MIDDLE EAST AND SOUTH ASIA

Member States

1. Afghanistan
2. Bangladesh
3. India
4. Iran, Islamic Rep. of
5. Iraq
6. Israel
7. Jordan
8. Kazakhstan
9. Kuwait
10. Lebanon
11. Pakistan
12. Qatar
13. Saudi Arabia
14. Sri Lanka
15. Syrian Arab Republic
16. United Arab Emirates
17. Uzbekistan
18. Yemen

VII. SOUTH EAST ASIA AND THE PACIFIC

Member States

1. Australia
2. Indonesia
3. Malaysia
4. Marshall Islands
5. Myanmar
6. New Zealand
7. Singapore
8. Thailand

VIII. FAR EAST

Member States

1. China
2. Cambodia
3. Japan
4. Korea, Rep. of
5. Mongolia
6. Philippines
7. Viet Nam

OTHERS*

Estonia
Slovenia

* The group membership of these Member States is yet to be determined, pending
further discussions in New York.

------- End of Forwarded Message