Re: [ifwp] Re: A New Beginning

At 10:42 AM 9/9/98 +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
>> In your opinion, perhaps.  In the opinion of many others, the IANA drafts
>> are responsive to the White Paper.
>
>It is difficult to see what leads you to this conclusion.  The corporation

Actually, it's pretty easy.  Lots of postings to that effect, from a range
of people and groups.

>As usual you quote only part of what I wrote:

As usual, indeed.  I make a point of quoting enough to establish the
context.  I'm assuming that anyone concerned about he full text will read
the preceding message.  The one I'm responding to.

>> > The IFWP promised an open resolution of this problem and in fact

In this case, I quoted only the beginning of your sentence because that
sentence fragment is patently incorrect.  The IFWP never promised any such
thing.  Pure and simple.

>> > made more progress on this issue than any other activity in the
>> > preceding three years.  Your argument is that what was obviously
>> > working should be junked in favor of what obviously did not work.

My argument is that people should not make claims that are incorrect.  The
IFWP process promised meetings.  It produced them.

As to the other, claimed accomplishment of the process, the assertion that
broad and solid consensus are, quite simply, false.  There was nothing
sufficiently consistent in the pursuit of topics nor the assessment of
opinions about them to permit valid assertions about consensus.  Since
we've discussed this point at length, I'll spare us all a review of the
procedural aspects of measurement methodology that you confused with
psychobabble.  (The latter term is usually reserved for overinflated
application of humanistic psychology; the former pertains to
decision-analysis and, with luck, statistical techniques.)

>process gave us hope that the problem of how to provide a legal basis
>for the IANA could be solved through open processes instead of deals
>done behind closed doors.

ahhhh.  hope.  yes, indeed it did, and it accomplished its portion of
satisfying that hope quite nicely.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1(408)246 8253
<mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>                        675 Spruce Drive
                                                  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA
Brandenburg Consulting
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                         Tel: +60(19)3299 445
                                               Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
Fax: +1(408)246 8253                     Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA