newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

Folks,

I hope it will prove possible for us to step back from
the temptation, often so hard to resist, to engage in
ad hominem ("personal" for the latin-impaired) exchanges
and to focus our collective energy on the very important
effort to achieve rough consensus on the new IANA
organization.

Jon Postel recently contributed a fairly long description
of the status of his efforts and it would be enormously
beneficial to get constructive comments and recommendations
on it. Many of you will be in Geneva for the next round of
discussions contributing to the IFWP effort - it would be
helpful to get more done prior to that meeting by email,
with particular focus on input from those who may not be
in attendance in Geneva.

Reports from the July 1/2 meetings and the July 7 meetings
should be readily available and these factored into further
discussion as well.

There are just a few months remaining between now and September
and it seems to me that we have a good deal of work to do to
prepare for newIANA operation by that time.

Hopefully,

Vint Cerf

If you are using any email address other than vcerf@mci.net,
please change your address book to use that address exclusively.

See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/

http://www.mci.com/aboutyou/interests/technology/ontech/cerf.shtml