Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

Vinton and all,

vinton g. cerf wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I hope it will prove possible for us to step back from
> the temptation, often so hard to resist, to engage in
> ad hominem ("personal" for the latin-impaired) exchanges
> and to focus our collective energy on the very important
> effort to achieve rough consensus on the new IANA
> organization.

  You seem to be indication that the nIANA WILL be the new non-profit
corporation to which the White Paper refers to as the controlling organization
which the IFWP is attempting to put together.  Is that correct?  If so, where
and how do you arrive at this assumption?

> Jon Postel recently contributed a fairly long description
> of the status of his efforts and it would be enormously
> beneficial to get constructive comments and recommendations
> on it.

  I have on several occasions and received NO reply to questions
that I and many others have already posed to Jon Postel and the
IANA.  Why is this?  IF we are to be putting together a new non-profit
entity and the IANA is to play a role or part in that new organization
isn't it incumbent for Jon and the other IANA individuals to respond
to those question themselves?

> Many of you will be in Geneva for the next round of
> discussions contributing to the IFWP effort - it would be
> helpful to get more done prior to that meeting by email,
> with particular focus on input from those who may not be
> in attendance in Geneva.

  Agreed.  And there seems to be allot of constructive questions and
suggestions thus far.

> Reports from the July 1/2 meetings and the July 7 meetings
> should be readily available and these factored into further
> discussion as well.

  Where are the July 7th notes and transcripts posted for public review?
Are there any?

> There are just a few months remaining between now and September
> and it seems to me that we have a good deal of work to do to
> prepare for newIANA operation by that time.

  Again Vinton, you seem to be making an assumption that the nIANA
will be that organization.  Why is that?

> Hopefully,
>
> Vint Cerf

> If you are using any email address other than vcerf@mci.net,
> please change your address book to use that address exclusively.
>
> See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/
>
> http://www.mci.com/aboutyou/interests/technology/ontech/cerf.shtml

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.