Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

At 01:19 PM 7/11/98 +0100, Jeff Williams wrote:
>Vinton and all,
>

>  You seem to be indication that the nIANA WILL be the new non-profit
>corporation to which the White Paper refers to as the controlling
organization
>which the IFWP is attempting to put together.  Is that correct?  If so, where
>and how do you arrive at this assumption?

It seems clear that the present IANA will have to change because
the manner of its support is changing. I have no pre-conceived
assumptions as to the outcome of all the discussions. Should I
have used a different term than "newIANA"? Is there one which is
not associated with any current proposal?

>> Jon Postel recently contributed a fairly long description
>> of the status of his efforts and it would be enormously
>> beneficial to get constructive comments and recommendations
>> on it.
>
>  I have on several occasions and received NO reply to questions
>that I and many others have already posed to Jon Postel and the
>IANA.  Why is this?  IF we are to be putting together a new non-profit
>entity and the IANA is to play a role or part in that new organization
>isn't it incumbent for Jon and the other IANA individuals to respond
>to those question themselves?

I guess that depends on what the questions were.

>> Many of you will be in Geneva for the next round of
>> discussions contributing to the IFWP effort - it would be
>> helpful to get more done prior to that meeting by email,
>> with particular focus on input from those who may not be
>> in attendance in Geneva.
>
>  Agreed.  And there seems to be allot of constructive questions and
>suggestions thus far.

yes and I hope we can keep on that track and avoid further
inflammation.

>> Reports from the July 1/2 meetings and the July 7 meetings
>> should be readily available and these factored into further
>> discussion as well.
>
>  Where are the July 7th notes and transcripts posted for public review?
>Are there any?

jim dixon tried to send his notes out as powerpoint but evidently
some re-mailers could not accept the large file.

>> There are just a few months remaining between now and September
>> and it seems to me that we have a good deal of work to do to
>> prepare for newIANA operation by that time.
>
>  Again Vinton, you seem to be making an assumption that the nIANA
>will be that organization.  Why is that?

I am not making that assumption - you've made that for me, apparently.
I am happy to use some term for the next IANA which isn't pre-judged.