Re: newIANA (was Fram behind closed doors via opaque channels)

Vinton and all,

vinton g. cerf wrote:

> At 01:19 PM 7/11/98 +0100, Jeff Williams wrote:
> >Vinton and all,
> >

> >  You seem to be indication that the nIANA WILL be the new non-profit
> >corporation to which the White Paper refers to as the controlling
> organization
> >which the IFWP is attempting to put together.  Is that correct?  If so, where
> >and how do you arrive at this assumption?
>
> It seems clear that the present IANA will have to change because
> the manner of its support is changing. I have no pre-conceived
> assumptions as to the outcome of all the discussions. Should I
> have used a different term than "newIANA"? Is there one which is
> not associated with any current proposal?

  Yes there is.  It is "NewCo" or "Entity".  Had you been at Reston or paying
attention
to the recent postings on the various lists, you would know this.  I am being
blunt here becouse I am finding it difficult to believe that you haven't been
paying attention, or you don't give a dam.  In either case, shame on you!  >;)

> >> Jon Postel recently contributed a fairly long description
> >> of the status of his efforts and it would be enormously
> >> beneficial to get constructive comments and recommendations
> >> on it.
> >
> >  I have on several occasions and received NO reply to questions
> >that I and many others have already posed to Jon Postel and the
> >IANA.  Why is this?  IF we are to be putting together a new non-profit
> >entity and the IANA is to play a role or part in that new organization
> >isn't it incumbent for Jon and the other IANA individuals to respond
> >to those question themselves?
>
> I guess that depends on what the questions were.

  This is not an answer Vinton, and you know it!  Stop this kind of "Stone
Walling"
game.  It is so easy to see through it isn't even funny.  Jon Postel has no
intention
of getting directly involved.  He and others within the IANA and the ISOC would
rather stay aloof as much as possible and just make broad sweeping announcements.

> >> Many of you will be in Geneva for the next round of
> >> discussions contributing to the IFWP effort - it would be
> >> helpful to get more done prior to that meeting by email,
> >> with particular focus on input from those who may not be
> >> in attendance in Geneva.
> >
> >  Agreed.  And there seems to be allot of constructive questions and
> >suggestions thus far.
>
> yes and I hope we can keep on that track and avoid further
> inflammation.

  Or keep form making broad avoidance to specific questions and making broad
sweeping announcements that are way behind the pace of discussions.

> >> Reports from the July 1/2 meetings and the July 7 meetings
> >> should be readily available and these factored into further
> >> discussion as well.
> >
> >  Where are the July 7th notes and transcripts posted for public review?
> >Are there any?
>
> jim dixon tried to send his notes out as powerpoint but evidently
> some re-mailers could not accept the large file.

  Well Jim knows better that this I am sure.  He knows that he should have
posted that report in Text format or broken it up into pieces and posted it that
way.

> >> There are just a few months remaining between now and September
> >> and it seems to me that we have a good deal of work to do to
> >> prepare for newIANA operation by that time.
> >
> >  Again Vinton, you seem to be making an assumption that the nIANA
> >will be that organization.  Why is that?
>
> I am not making that assumption - you've made that for me, apparently.
> I am happy to use some term for the next IANA which isn't pre-judged.

Yes.  And again it is "NewCo" or "Entity".

> >> Hopefully,
> >>
> >> Vint Cerf
> >>
> >> =================================================================
> >> If you are using any email address other than vcerf@mci.net,
> >> please change your address book to use that address exclusively.
> >>
> >> See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/
> >>
> >> http://www.mci.com/aboutyou/interests/technology/ontech/cerf.shtml

> If you are using any email address other than vcerf@mci.net,
> please change your address book to use that address exclusively.
>
> See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/
>
> http://www.mci.com/aboutyou/interests/technology/ontech/cerf.shtml

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.